Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking to MP3's using Flash button

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwalent

Technical User
Nov 19, 2001
US
What is the best method to allow a user to download an MP3 file from a web site using Macromedia Flash.

To see what i have so far, go to: and click "Multimedia".

Is there an Action that prompts the user to download a specified file?

I'm currently using the "Get URL" Action on the button. The MP3 file is in the URL argument, the Windows option is blank, and I'm using "Send using Get" as the Variable

I'm noticing in some browers, that the button is opening a new page and the browser itself attempts to open the MP3.

Hi Jim,
Yes, I've checked your site... And a new browser window opens and curiously tries to load the mp3, through, in my case, the Windows Media player, which isn't even my assigned player for mp3s.
A solution, might be to zip up these mp3s, and use the getUrl action like this:
Code:
on (press) {
    getURL ("[URL unfurl="true"]http://yourserver.com/path/mp3_1.zip",[/URL] "_blank");
}

You can use "_blank" or "_top" as the window parameter, and just leave "Don't send" in the variables field.

As apparently StuffIt can also open zipped up files, Mac users shouldn't have any problems with this method either!

Regards,
wink4.gif
ldnewbie

Would there be a way of doing this without changing the file to a Zip, I just want to make it as easy as possible for the end user.

MP3 files are already highly compressed, and makin it a self extracting zip file will only increase the file size.

Do you know of anyone that can test this in the MAC environment?

Thanks;
Jim

I just wish there was a way to make the operating system forget that there's an association to the mp3 file extension.

Visited a few mp3 download sites, and most of them seem to zip them up. I think most users are well aware of these standard download procedures.
Zip seems to be one of the only extensions that will readily open the download window, rather than checking for an OS file association.

As for having the user's OS forget these file associations, you can always dream!

Regards,
wink4.gif
ldnewbie

Thanks for your research, looks like I'll be zippin'

Jim

One thing... Try it out on 1 file first! That is before doing it on all your files! It should work but you never know!

Regards,
wink4.gif
ldnewbie

This may sound stupid but shouldn't you use ftp:// not http:// for downloads.

On my Mac the site worked fine. I downlaoded a 1mb file in short time unzipped it no trouble. I wish I could get my stuff to work on PCs that well!

Alfie.

Happy to learn one Mac does one thing right! LOL
wink4.gif
ldnewbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back