Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking to more than one data source

Status
Not open for further replies.

paryl

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
US
I'm trying to pull info from two separate sets of data. One set is held in Foxpro databases and I connect via ODBC, and the other is Goldmine 5.5 and I connect to the specific files.

I can import either set and work with the data just fine, but when I try to import a file from each source, the "visual linking expert" (CR 8.5) refuses to let me link them. I know definitely that the data within the tables is identical.

The first link I make results in:
File link warning. The specified fields may not link successfully due to different type.

If I try another link I get:
Invalid file link. Not all fields in same index expression.

The type of both fields is String. The Foxpro fields have a length of 14 and the Goldmine fields are 20.

I'm thinking that the field length might be the problem, but I really need to link this data. Is there anything I can do?

The first link is a warning that might still work. Did you try it?

Is this VFP or standard FP?
Can you NOT use ODBC? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

I haven't found a way to use ODBC with Goldmine successfully.

The first link does work, which is fine. The problem is that I need to link two fields before I can resolve all of the records. We have one column with mfg and one with item #, they both contain duplicates, and so both fields need to be linked.

I meant, can you connect to FP without ODBC?
That will be more difficult with VFP, but older FP can be connected directly, just like the GM DBF Files.

You should also be able to draw 2 arrows to make a 2-field link. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

ok,

That still doesn't work. I get the same errors.

I decided to concentrate on another report I've been working on where I only need to link the account number field in both db's. I still get the same warning, but I'm able to get to the design view and place fields. When I go into preview though, I get an xBase error. I tried something similar yesterday, except using the ODBC foxpro connection, and it tried to build the preview but kept counting records. After a few minutes it was at 440000 records, so I stopped it.

Is linking Goldmine with another database just impossible, or am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back