Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

toughGirl

MIS
Mar 26, 2001
I have 2 tables - Member Info and Committees. The tblMemberinfo has 3 fields to capture up to 3 committees each member may be interested in joining. The input form has 3 drop down lists that populate the corresponding fields in the tblMemberinfo using the values from the tblCommittees. The tblCommittees has the list of the committees available.

When I run a report with Membername and interested committees, the report lists the committee ID number, not the name of the committee. How do I link the tables so when I run reports, the name is listed? This can easily be done with, say, the tblIndustry because there is only one field in the tblMemberinfo to link. But with the committees, I have multiple fields in tblMemberinfo to populate, and it just doesn't work.

Please help :)

tG
--{-{@

Use three instances of tblCommittees with different aliases.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I had thought of that but didn't go that direction because of updating the table. I would have to update new categories in each table... Is there a way I could use a form interface to update all 3 tables with one entry?

thanks

tG
--{-{@

tG,
Have you considered normalizing your table structure so you don't have three similar columns/fields in the same table? You should really have a junction table with MemberID and CommitteeID. There would be one record per member per committee interest. This solution wouldn't be limited to just three.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back