Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking tables on different servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschomer

Technical User
Aug 1, 2000
US
I have two separate databases. From one database I am linking to a table (personnel) in another (employee) database. Our server is local here on the west coast. However, the application is being used on the east coast, as well. The problem is the server here (west) is identified as V:\ but there's (east) is another letter. How can I fix the linked table to be the server name (or whatever) and not the actual assigned drive letter?

what's your OS? Can you use UNC i.e. \\servername\path ?

Windows 98. I do believe I can use the \\servername, however I don't remember where I need to enter that. I have looks at properties etc... but not sure where it goes.

I encountered this problem when I started my current position. Is the server identified in your code as V:\? If so, just change that line of code to read the UNC path. If it is not identified in your code anywhere then the east coast user should be able to map to the server from there, no matter what label, letter, is used it will still see the same server and therefore the same table. Mooo... :)

Where do I find the code? I don't know how to write Visual Basic I only have tables, queries, forms, reports and macros. I am sure its looking for V: and I need to change it to generic (ie. \\servername), but I don't know where to find it and change it. Karen

In design mode, click on the view menu, then on code. This should show you the VB or VBA behind the forms. Look for the line that refrences the Server V:, and change it to read the UNC path. Mooo... :)

If your interface is a separate mdb from your data you will probably need to make the changes to that interface and distribute it amongst the users.

I think you are going to need two versions of the programme effectively. One east and one west where the only difference is the linking. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

That sounds like I would basically need to have duplicate databases for all the programs I build since my dept. is split between the west / east and we all basically use the same data.

I deleted my original link and re-established the link by selecting the network neighborhood, rather than the local server drive letter ie. v:\servername\Sales\Employee. So when I used network neighborhood I picked the servername and the rest of the path. Do you think this'll work. I can't really test it since I am at the same location as the server. Thanks, Karen

Could you have an intermediate database one east and one west that was linked differently in each case and keep that in the same location in east and west, i.e. z:\link or something. Then you could link identical programmes to that. I don't know if it would be slow etc.

Or, send me your email and I have a chunk of code that will relink according to local settings when the programme starts. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

You can use the Linked Table Manager (Tools, Database Utilities) to change links to tables/spreadsheets/ODBC data sources/text files/... from multiple locations. To browse to the UNC style connection, use the Network Neighborhood entry in the Link "Look In" box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back