Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Some Excel 2013 Cells to PowerPoint 2013 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalFacets

Technical User
Nov 3, 2016
US
I've been linking certain Excel cells to PowerPoint by executing the following steps:
1. In Excel, highlight certain cells (e.g. L13:eek:18).
2. Select 'Copy'.
3. Switch to PPT and click on 'Paste Special' located on the 'Home' tab on the ribbon,
4. Select 'Paste Link' radio button option, highlight 'Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object' & then click OK. Object appears in PPT.

When I update the content in the Excel cells, it updates the PPT document (Yeah!). However, I noticed that when I inserted in Excel 3 columns to the left of the linked data, the data in the Excel 'Object' moved/disappeared in PPT.

Is there a way to make the cell reference absolute between Excel & PPT so that when the cells are moved in Excel, the references don't change in PPT?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

So when you inserted three columns, do you expect the resulting image (a" x b") to change dimensions proportionally or the image within a" x b" to shrink to fit the new cells?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

In Excel, one can use absolute references. The cell with absolutes can be moved and the cell references do not change.

Similarly, I was expecting the PPT image of Excel data to not change. When the blank columns (cells) were inserted in Excel, it looks as though the PPT image now referenced those blank Excel cells.

Your link references L13:O18.

Skip,
[sub]

Yes, I know. How do I make it an absolute cell reference? I thought using named range work, but it does not appear to solve the issue.

Name the ranges you want to link.

SELECT a named range.

COPY

In PPT PasteSpecial Worksheet Object and check paste Link.

Skip,
[sub]

Via some VBA snooping in a PPT example, I discovered that the Range Name is in the link when you COPY/Paste Special as advertised.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back