Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking reports from the same universe with different criteria 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkmonsteruk

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2002
GB
I'm currently running a report based on a single universe which has a set of conditions a, b and c... This works fine.

However i want to add another set of information based on the same table, with a common linked field to my previous report but with condition d.

condition d will only only occur in returns with conditions a, b and c but it will only occur in a small number of them.

I want to add the information from my secound report to my first report.

If i simply add it to the original report then i only get returns which have conditions a, b, c, and d - which is no good.

I've tried adding in another table to my first report with a common field, although the tables are linked BO will not allow me to drop the additional information into the first table.

In access i would probably do a union query, but this isn't availible in bo, does anybody have any ideas??

It's ok think i've managed to answer my own question - had to link all the similar fields in the reports.....

Can i give myself a star???

Hi,

I think you can't give it yourself. But I would like to tell you that Union Query is possible in BO like you do in Access. From the Query Panel while making the Query click on the button next to UserObjects. You will have Union query working.

Sri

Your right sridharan.... How could i forget about that...
Don't think my brains been in gear for the past few days.... Have a star..

Though I may have not understood all of your post (due to my poor english !), and Sridharan gave you the solution, just a last question :
why not create a second dataprovider, with your condition d, then display in your table the informations from dataprovider 1 (condition a, b and c) and dataprovider 2, by linking common fields between each provider (for BO to allow "crossing" data) ?

Take into account the difference between union and join, union merges two datasets giving you x fields as output. Linking dataproviders acts as an full outer join giving you x + y fields at report level. My basic rule is that if you can solve anything using the appropriate SQL technique you will have a better basis than linking dataproviders (which sure has some limitations as we all know)

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back