Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linking powerpoint to multiple excel graphs in the same file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prigro

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
CA
I want to link multiple graphs in an excel file to a powerpoint presentation. The graphs in excel are all on different sheets. When I use the linking wizard within powerpoint it only allows you to link to specific excel file. The graph that is linked is the last one saved in excel. In order to link another graph I have to select a different sheet within excel, save and then link it in powerpoint. Does anyone know a better way to make the links to specific sheets within excel?

I tried this way, and it seemed to work for me.

Click the chart icon to insert a chart. Don't worry that it looks like a default chart. Now there will be a toolbar button available that looks like a chart coming out of a folder. Click that, open your excel file with the charts, and choose the chart.

That should do it!

misscrf

Management is doing things right, leadership is doing the right things

That seemed to work. Now, is there any way to have the powerpoint update each time the excel file is updated or is that a manual process of inserting the chart each time the excel file is updated?

I would have to check to be sure, but I believe you should be able to set the properties to link to the chart. When doing this, make sure that the chart is always in the same directory that the powerpoint is linking to, and that the powerpoint can see it.

(hold on, I'm testing something... lol)

ok well, I made changes to the chart in excel, and came back to powerpoint. It didnt look changed, but once I double clicked on the chart, it updated. You would have to test it in the slideshow if this is where you will need it.

misscrf

It doesn't seem to update in powerpoint and I don't see a way of linking them so the powerpoint updates dynamically. I guess I would have to link a powerpoint chart to the excel data. Unfortunately, I don't have enough control over the formatting of the graph in powerpoint.

Once you set up the chart in powerpoint, click it so that the spreadsheet is showing. Microsoft uses default data. Copy your data from excel and paste it there, that should help.

misscrf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back