Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking pictures in a report

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman20

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2004
US
I have CR 8.5 and I am pulling information from SQL through ODBC connections.

I haven't quite figured out how this program is storing pictures, but I wanted to see if this could be a possibility.

In our school district, we have a program called SASI that we use to store all of our student data in. Grades, demographics, testing, discipline, etc, etc. This program has a very nice feature included in it where we are allowed to upload PICT files from a disk up into the system so that we can see a picture with each students demographics. Very nice.

I have written a report that takes the students information and all of their parent/guardian information and prints it all on a Rolodex card. It works very slick. I have been asked if there is any way to put the students picture on this card as well. So, if I can figure out how this program is saving the pictures in the SQL database, is it possible for me to create a picture box on my Rolodex report that will show the students mug shot along with their information?

If it isn't possible, I won't bother racking my brains trying to figure out how the pictures are stored.

Thanks!

Sure, check out the EMPLOYEES example report included with Crystal.

Are the graphics stored in the database, or on the disk as seperate files?

If on disk, you might use hyperlinks, but that woul dmean addign a column to the database (if it doesn't already exist).

A PICT file (common with Apple) is a graphic file format.

You might convert the files over to a more standard format, or request that the coders change the format when the files are placed in the table.

-k

The graphics are stored in a table within the database somewhere. We get a disk from our photographers which has the students ID with picture name in one folder and the pictures in another. The program looks at the text file and matches the pictures according to the students ID's and then uploads them into the database so that they are always there.

The programmers require PICT which I hate, but to get a company the size of Pearson Digital to change their minds is a bit tough.

What I am kind of thinking here though is that I may not use the SQL for the pictures now. I wonder how it would work if I stored the pictures on one of our Novell servers and just linked to that according to the students ID from the SQL database.......guess it will be time to play! :)

Thanks for the heads up on the sample report. I will take a look at that and see how they did it.

Okay, I am a bit confused on how you get a BLOB into your report. I have tried the 8.5 book and I have even looked in the Complete Reference guide for 8.5 and they mention a BLOB but don't really say how you get a BLOB into your report. Can anyone help me with this?

If it's genuinely a BLOB field in the database, then it should appear in your field explorer along with all of the other fields in your table. Simply add it to your report, just like you would any other field.

Peter Shirley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back