Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking JDEdwards/EnterpriseOne Tables in Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

clooney1

Programmer
Apr 18, 2007
US
Does anyone link JDEdwards/EnterpriseOne E810 tables in Crystal Reports successful without pulling the system down?
I know that JDE BSVW's can be used but we are wanting to use tables if possible. JDE has published that table joins should not be used as they are too big. I've heard of one other company doing this but wanted to know if anyone else had confronted this issue.

Are you using the integrated Crystal Reports from PeopleSoft, or the Business Objects independent version and Crystal Enterprise? We have written hundreds of reports using numerous joins from Business Objects CE10 against PeopleSoft E1, with no effect on the application at all.

Could you please provide some further information?

hawkseyesys, thanks for the reply. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to you but I've been on vacation and had to get back in the groove after that. Yes, we are using the integrated Crystal from Peoplesoft. Can you tell me how you have Crystal set up on your servers; does it have it's own server and what else is on it? I'm thinking maybe we do not have the set up done correctly. But then again, PS states that you should used JDE views for report writing in Crystal as Table Joins cannot be done.

No problem, Clooney1. Hope you enjoyed your vacation. That return groove can get a little bumpy!

To answer your question, we used our existing BO Crystal Enterprise installation and a number of Crystal Reports licenses for report developers. The downside is that Crystal Enterprise resides on its own server, so users have to use a separate application to view reports rather than having them embedded in the PeopleSoft app. However, we've had the vast majority of our reporting on CE for several years, so people are used to the interface.

The JDE database is accessed just like any other Oracle db - we use the native Oracle driver rather than ODBC for the best results with CE. Unfortunately, each report developer needs to purchase a license and install the Oracle client. Between that and the BO licensing, it's an initial investment, but works very well with the JDE data.

Another advantage to this setup is that we can write Oracle views when necessary to use with our reporting, and those use standard SQL language. It seems much easier than creating JDE views and having to go through the promotion process. Then again, implementation of CE is not a cakewalk and it may be more that you want to take on.

Hope this helps. If you are considering this solution, I suggest spending some time researching CE/CR on the Business Objects documentation site:

Thanks for the information hawkseyesys, that's really helpful. I'll have to relay this to our tech guys.

I have a problem linking tables using Enterprise1 8.11 (We do are using integrated Crystal Reports from PeopleSoft)

I am looking table F4801 (Maintenance Work Orders). One numeric field in this table (WAANSA) is called "Foreman Coord" and I want to see the description for it. The description is stored in other table (Address Book F0101) I link both tables using all possibilities Inner Join, Left Outer and Right Outer (The Full Outer Join is greyed)

But, because in some Work Orders in F4801 the field WAANSA is null, Crystal Reports does not retrieve the Work Order. How can I do to see all Work Orders with and without "Foreman Coord" values?

I tried this using the non-embedded Crystal Reports and it appears to work fine. I haven't used the embedded CR, but I'm assuming it's the same, just the data access is different.

When you link the tables, be sure to link from F4801 to F0101 (not the other way around). Make the join a Left Outer Join.

Also be sure that you're not doing any selection on fields in F0101 - that basically negates the Left Outer and makes it an Inner Join. If you are, you'll need to add a NULL check on the field(s) that you're selecting on, and it has to go before the selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back