Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking imported tables to tables in Access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvena

Technical User
Aug 5, 2005
US
I am attempting to create a database which I have both imported tables (via ODBC connection) as well as new tables that I have created in Access. The new tables currently have no data in them. I want to enter ID # and view the existing data from the linked tables. If any information is not correct I would like to be able to enter the correct information into the new access tables. I know it would be easier to just correct the existing data but my users do not have update rights to the database I am importing the records from. In short the idea is to create a prepopulated form that has empty fields to enter information if the prepopulated information is not correct. Does anyone have any idea how I might accomplish this?

Here is my suggestion

Are you are using a query to search ID #s in the imported table? Then if that existing data is not correct you want to create a new record with the updated information.

If this is the case, here is my suggestion.

Create a checkbox(yes/no) Field in the imported table which you could call Correct_Information. You will want to set all records to checked or yes.

Next, create a Form which uses the query to search for the ID #s. All you do here is add a form and in the form's Properties select the query as the RecordSource under the Data tab.
If you would like, you can create a duplicate record button to eliminate some extra typing. Once the record is duplicated, update the fields in the new record with the correct information.
Also, remember to uncheck the record which has the incorrect information. (so now, you will only have the record with the correct or updated information checked)

Now you can create a query to show you all records with a checkbox - thus giving you only records with correct information. You could even go as far as to make the query also prompt the user for the ID # if you wanted that option as well.

I hope this may help or give you some ideas.

Thanks for your help. To solve this I created a query that was selecting the appropriate records (as you stated). I selected the query as my primary table in my form. I set the properties to not allow edits to the data in this form. I then imported my data entry table via a subreport and allowed edits to the data in the subreport. This allowed me to view the prepoulated information without editing it as well as allowed me to enter data into the "new" data entry table.

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back