Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking free tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDeana1

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
US
I am trying to link foxpro 2.6 free tables and their indexes in msaccess through code. (.dbf file and it's associated .cdx file) I'm able to link them using dbase IV however, the indexes will not update when deleting or adding records.

I have tried to create an inf file which points to it's cdx index file but it errors out giving me 'index file not found'.

I have also tried vfpoledb to link them but I can't get around the prompt to select the unique record identifier. I need to establish this to edit the table.

Does anyone know if I can set the index fields through a connection string?

Thanks for your help!

I think you are caught between xBase's flexibility and Accesses insistance for a Primary Key (PK) to deal with uniqueness. (Truthfully that's more of a design issue, I have included a true PK in all my .DBF tables for a very long time!) Unfortunately dBase never natively supported .CDX index files, so as you've found you can't go that way.

Any chance you can change the table to provide a PK? Then you'd have the choice between VFP's ODBC or OLE DB!

Rick

The keys are maintained in the cdx files. They are running all our production data so changing any data structure in these tables may result in horrible problems which I wouldn't be able to fix.

Thanks so much for reading my post. If you have any other suggestions please send them along! I appreciate your help.

LaDeana

I am having similar problems ... I too need to link all of the dbf and cdx files from a FoxPro 2.6a application to MS Access 2003. How can I do this ... I am currently get the "External table is not in the expected format" error when I try to link/ import the files.

Thanks for any help or suggestions ...

Tamra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back