Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Excel into Access - format of columns is wrong 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayo

MIS
Sep 14, 2001
DE
When linking Excel (XP) into Access (XP), I have a problem with the format of specific columns: They are set to "Number", but I want them to be "Text" in Access.

Is there a way to force Access to define them as text ? Most of the column values are numbers, but not all of them.

I know that I could transfer XLS to CSV format, but then I loose the possibility to update Excel cells from Access.

Thanks for any hints.

Hayo

If you open the table in design view. You can change the column type to anything you want by changing the datatype for your particular field name.

This is NOT possible in my case. Let me explain the situation in more detail:

I opened Access, then I goto External data, here I select "link table" (where I also select XLS type). I do NOT select "import" !

When I link an Excel-Sheet this way, I can update it in Access, but I cannot change any field properties.

Hayo

Hi!

The only way I have ever found is to go into the Excel sheet and add a ' in front of all the data. Access will recognize this as indicating the field is to be treated as text.

hth
Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

'hayo: I think Access just looks at the first record in Excel and sets the format for each column. Just make sure each column in the first record is text.

Hi Jeff and Isadore,

thanks for your replies.
Changing only the first value to text is NOT sufficient. I changed the first 4-5 to text, and it still converts to number !

I think the tip to insert a ' in front of >each< value looks good.

But how can I easily do that in Excel, if I have a big number of rows ?? (I am not an Excel expert).

Hayo

hayo: I'm surprised about the first row not responding; very interesting, that has been my experience. I have a friend who is an Excel expert, although he doesn't drop by the Tek-Tips forum. Send him an email with your question, and tell him &quot;Isadore from Auburn&quot; sent ya - he'll give you his 2 cents; which may give you and edge. His name is Sergio Cordova, and his email add is:

ruizcor@auburn.edu

One thing I know he can help you with with is manipulation of Excel tables - he's been doing it for many years. Good Luck.

You could use a query to convert the field to text using
str(). Set output all fileds to yes and just use the query instead of the table.

Hi!

Add a column next to the one you need to change and in the first cell put =&quot;'&quot; & A1 (or whatever column you need to change). Then select the cell and grab the autofill handle and drag down.

hth
Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Thanks for all your answers !

An important point is the ability to update the Excel sheet from MS Access, but also from MS Excel. Therefore I think, the idea to place a &quot;'&quot; in front of the column is appropriate (doing this with the technique shown by Jeff).

If I apply that to the original column, I get the result I wanted. Gave you some stars for your help.

Thanks
Hayo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back