Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking datasources

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigglesUK

MIS
Jun 29, 2005
GB
Hello,

Im running crystal reports XI and SQL 2000.

I have a weekly XML file I recieve. I need to compare it to my database to find if any item numbers that are in the file are not in the database.

Unfortunatly the XML file has the item number text parsed as " 12345678" where in my SQL database, its "12345678" with no leading spaces. I cant link the two together on the database expert because they dont properly match.

The only solution i could find was to not create a link, and then in the record selection put:
trim({BELORDER.PART_NO}) = {INVENTTABLE.ITEMID}

To trim the one that has the leading spaces, however this goes through a huge amount of work. Is there any better way I can do this? i would really like to create the initial link with this. I dont want to have to format the XML file in a different way each time I recieve it.

thanks,

Andrew

you could use the replace option on your SQL statement

something like:

where replace(BELORDER.PART_NO,' ','') = INVENTTABLE.ITEMID

-Mo

That would be a great idea to use, but how can i implement it? I dont know how i can edit the SQL statement. I can view it thats about it as far as im aware.

Managed to solve it.

I had to set up my connection as ODBC to be able to do a "Command", then I created my sql view which was:
Code:
select ltrim(part_no) as part_no
from xml

The left trim now trims fine and can be linked to my other odbc connection to my sql database.

thanks for your assistance.

I was trying to get the sql script with the xml file option but you beat me to it, well done.

-Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back