Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Data Providers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DugzDMan

Programmer
Oct 19, 2000
US
Can someone give me a quick how to on linking data providers? I've looked through the menus and don't see anything. I also looked through the BO help and found a few items describing what the different areas do, just not how to get there. It says that the dps should be linked inherently since the dimensions match (I think), but it isn't working.

Thanks!!!

I'm sure you know how to do the linking (in the data viewer).

Dimensions will automatically link if the DPs use the same universe. If not, you have to manually link the them.

Steve Krandel
BASE Consulting Group

They are pulling from the same universe, but they are not linking. I looked in the Data Manager, but didn't see anything. Could you provide a litte more detail?

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have two DPs in a report: Minutes & Messages.

The Messages are displayed first. I want them broke out by ACNA. Then, I want to display a table with the minutes (once again, broke out by ACNA). I have the ACNA from the messages table set as a master, then I also have the acna in the minutes table, but hidden. Even if I don't hide it, it doesn't break properly.

I'm wanting this:
ACNA - ABC
ABC - Messages
ABC - Minutes

ACNA - DEF
DEF - Messages
DEF - Minutes

What I'm getting is
ACNA - ABC
ABC - Messages
ABC - Minutes
DEF - Minutes

ACNA - DEF
DEF - Messages
ABC - Minutes
DEF - Minutes

Any ideas?

Thanks Steve!

OK, I finally found out where to do it and it did the trick. Woohoo!

Is linking more or less like doing a full outer join on the two dps, on the items that are linked?

When you create different data providers in report, u have to ensure that there is a relationship key between them, once u create using this BO will automatically detects and creates a link using that field, if u miss any of the relationship field then you will not get proper results. Also to check the you can click on the cube like icon in the top bar, once u click that you will see a window which will have the query names with a + sign on the left pane. Once you expand the query it shows all the objects for that query, if you click the relationship field you can see a different appearance to that. This way you can ensure the data providers are linked, if not you have to delete the data provider and create new one with the common field.

That's how I ended up joining the fields. I still don't know why it didn't join them on that in the first place. I have common fields in each provider with the same name, data type, size, etc. I was able to define the relationship from the data provider tab. Once you click on a field, you can manually tell it which data provider/field to relate to.

Thanks!

Hi Vass,
I try to do the same think, the problem is i am using Flat files, in the cube there is no Link/Unlink Option. Is there any round abt to do?
Thanks
Raj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back