Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Data from Access into Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyam131

Technical User
Aug 29, 2003
US
Does any know of a method to link an Access Query to an Excel spreadsheet. One caveat I only need specific Feilds. For example if an Access Qeury called "2002 data" has Fields 1-10, How would I link Fields 2 and 5 into an Excel Spreadsheet? I know about DDE, but this seems to be obsolete?!?

Thanks

Use File, Get External Data in Access to link to the spreadsheet.

Then just use it as an Access table, bear in mind that queries tend to be case sensitive when linking Excel sheets

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I need to do the opposite. I have the data in Access and need to Link it into Excel. That is changes to my Access Database will automatically be updated in my Excel Spreadsheet

Shyam131,

No, nberryman answered you question CORRECTLY.

This method will create a query of your Access table in Excel. After you create it as nberryman outlined, all you have to do is Date/Refresh Data.

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

I want to link Access queries to an Excel spreadsheet, instead of using DDE.......

In my queries, I am using a Moduld called "IsInDay, so that any data time stamped between the hours of midnight and 3 AM, is considerde to be the previous days data.

Here is the code:

Option Compare Database
Public Function IsInDay(ByVal pdtDate As Date) As Boolean

Dim dtStart As Date
Dim dtEnd As Date

dtStart = DateValue(pdtDate) + TimeValue("3:00AM")
dtEnd = DateValue(DateAdd("d", 1, pdtDate)) + TimeValue("3:00AM")

IsInDay = ((pdtDate >= dtStart) And (pdtDate <= dtEnd))

End Function

Public Function ShiftDate(ByVal pdtDate As Date, _
ByVal pdtTime As Date) As Date

Dim dtStart As Date

If pdtTime < TimeValue(&quot;3:00AM&quot;) Then
ShiftDate = DateAdd(&quot;d&quot;, -1, pdtDate)
Else
ShiftDate = pdtDate
End If

End Function

When I go to use Microsoft Query in Excel to set up the Link to the Access database, I get the following error

Undefined function &quot;ShiftDate&quot; in Expression

Does anyone know how I can get Excel to recognize this function. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back