Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linking computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmosier

Technical User
Aug 5, 2001
US
Is there a way I can jump one computer to another? My goal is to back up files on a computer with a burner from another computer. Can I use LAN cards?.

Lan cards and a hub. Then be sure to share out the directory/drive you are backing up. Mary :)

Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
Rule 2: EVERYTHING is small stuff!! x-)

If your only networking two computers together a hub will not be nessary. I will leave instructions bellow of how to link to computers together and share the drives

1--Install both lan cards on the pc's
2--Connect the to pc's together via a cat 5 cable with a rj45 connection type
3--Install the drivers for the nic's
4--right click network neiborhood and go to properties
5--highlight you nic card in the box bellow it will have a tcp/ip in the front of it, then hit properties
6--make sure disable dns and make sure use dhcp for wins resolution
7-- make a group name identifaction and computer name
8--enable sharing for othe pc's
9-- on the drive you want to share right click it and go to properties and select share.
10--reboot

this is a rough outline any specific question just repost.

cheers,

Paul R.

Using a cross - over cable (avail most computer supply stores - for example) allows PC to PC connection via lan cards (both of same spec - 10 or 100 Base T) directly w/o the use of a hub.

Follow above directions for network neighborhood. You can skip TCP/IP and use Netbeui instead, which is less complicated - no Wins and DHCP etc needed.

Dave - just email if any Q's
dydavid@ix.netcom.com

well without the hub, the idea is pretty simple

1 Orange(Striped) 1 Green (Striped)
2 Orange(Solid) 2 Green (Solid)
3 Green(Striped) 3 Orange (Striped)
4 Blue (Solid) 4 Blue (Solid)
5 Blue (Striped) 5 Blue (Striped)
6 Green (Solid) 6 Orange (Solid)
7 Brown (Striped) 7 Brown (Striped)
8 Brown (Solid) 8 Brown (Solid)

The cross over is the same except, replace all the orange with the matching green, and thats it. (1=3, 2=6, 3=1, 6=2)

a regular cable is going to be the same across(though keeping the same color consistant helps the standard) Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

If you want to go el'cheapo you can also use a laplink cable between the computers, via parallel port or serial. the disadvantage is you won't be getting high speeds and it's limited to short distances. i suggest if you are only copying files back and forth and if you wan't to save $$ do it this way.(my opinion)
you would also have to do this

go into add/remove programs
go into windows setup
highlight communications and click details
check direct cable connections. make sure OS supports this

you would also have to set up the host and guest, it's easy as pie.

Laplink and cable is fine. i suggest just using 2 NIC and crossover cable to do the transfer. Much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back