Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking barcode scanning to MS Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindboggled

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
At work we have a big database of numerous types of equipment. We currently are printing barcodes and sticking them on each piece. What I want to do is when the database is open, scan the barcode and have Access go directly to that paticular record. Can anyone help me with this as I am what my login name is...mindboggled!!

[sadeyes]

Hi,

I am doing a similar project right now !

Just use a select query, linked to a table with the data about your items on it, and use the look up field to enter your scanned number, and the select query will gather the information about that item for you.

Use a form, or sub form based on the query to create your interface.

Garry

what i do is create a combobox with the wizard
and i scan the bar code in to the combo box

Combo box works great, Thanks. When a form opens up how do you specify which box the cursor starts in.

Use this:

OnOpen event:

me.[fieldname or box],setfocus

Garry

Excuse my typing:

Me.[fieldname or box].SetFocus

Garry

see tab order on view menu
you can set the order that access moves along the controls on a form when you open the form it will be at the first one except if you move with the .SetFocus method

We have numerous work orders in our DB for each piece of equipment. The equipment has a specific unit ID. We run a due for maintenance query that checks due dates. It works fine but the query shows duplicate unit id's cause the job orders fall in the query criteria. How do you display only the most recent duplicate of dates of the numerous records.

create a group query and groue on unit id and max of due dates

HELP ME PLEASE!!! This is kinda related to my last Jan. 27th enrty. All our Unit ID's have multiple records. As an example, one Unit ID has 6 records. When you add another record, it goes in the 7th spot. So when you go and look for something, it would be in the order you last entered it. We just converted to Access 2000 from Access 97. NOW...When we enter a record in the 7th spot, leave and then come back to that Unit ID, the record is no longer in the 7th spot and has automatically moved to like spot 2,3,4 or whatever. This is wreaking havoc on our database and screwing with the queries and stuff. Anyone please help me.

[nosmiley]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back