Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Access Query to an Excel Spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastEddieB

Programmer
Jan 16, 2004
US
I want to link several Access queries to an Excel spreadsheet, instead of using DDE.......

In my queries, I am using a Module called "IsInDay, so that any data time stamped between the hours of midnight and 3 AM, is considered to be the previous days data.

Here is the code:

Option Compare Database
Public Function IsInDay(ByVal pdtDate As Date) As Boolean

Dim dtStart As Date
Dim dtEnd As Date

dtStart = DateValue(pdtDate) + TimeValue("3:00AM")
dtEnd = DateValue(DateAdd("d", 1, pdtDate)) + TimeValue("3:00AM")

IsInDay = ((pdtDate >= dtStart) And (pdtDate <= dtEnd))

End Function

Public Function ShiftDate(ByVal pdtDate As Date, _
ByVal pdtTime As Date) As Date

Dim dtStart As Date

If pdtTime < TimeValue(&quot;3:00AM&quot;) Then
ShiftDate = DateAdd(&quot;d&quot;, -1, pdtDate)
Else
ShiftDate = pdtDate
End If

End Function

When I go to use Microsoft Query in Excel to set up the Link to the Access queries,and I select the query I want, get the following error

Undefined function &quot;ShiftDate&quot; in Expression

Does anyone know how I can get Excel to recognize this ShiftDate function that I use in Access. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I tried copying the module to Excel, and I am still getting the error &quot;undefined function &quot;ShiftDate&quot; in Expression&quot; whenever I try to select a query that is using this function in access...which is all of my queries by the way.

I am not a very experienced Excel user, but I would imgaine that the modules work the same.

After copying the module word for word, it is still not working.

I will continue to poke around with this.

Thank you again for your time.

Ed

I don't know if this will meet your requirements, but I have done the following:

1. Use MS Query to write and save an SQL query. You have to have an ODBC connection to the database for this.
2. Open Excel, select Data/Import External Data and select the query. This will return data to Excel.

Tony

Hi GPOTony,

Thanks for the idea. The problem is I am using MS Query. When I use MS Query, create the obdc connection, and select the ShiftDate field, then I receive the error that &quot;Undefined function &quot;ShiftDate&quot; in Expression&quot;

Somehow I have to get Excel to recognize that module. I tried to copy and past it into Excel, but it still is giving me the same error.

I am still plugging away.

Thanks for your time.....

It sounds like Excel can't find your function. Are you sure you put it in a module? That is, not as a function of &quot;Sheet1&quot; or &quot;ThisWorkbook&quot;.
If not, just use INSERT | MODULE and paste your function there.

I have run into the same problem. My Access query uses a custom function which generates the "undefined function" error when I try to base a pivot table on that query. I tried pasting the function into an Excel module, but that didn't help. I'm guessing that I would need to rewrite the query to return the original data and then use the function in excel to get the resukts that I want. Unfortunately, I need to do the calculation in Access because these results are part of a sub-query that needs to be processed further before returning results to the pivot table. Any ideas?

thanks

cityboy3,

Please post your question in a NEW THREAD.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Sign above the facsimile apparatus at the music publisher:[/red]
If it ain't baroque...
Don't FAX it![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back