Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Access db to Outlook Contact file

Status
Not open for further replies.

SColbert

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
US
I need the option to link an Access "Contacts" table into an Outlook Contacts list. I've got it to work & link to my personal Contacts file - can it be linked to a Contacts file located in the Outlook Public Folders? Thanks in advance!

You can in Access 2002 and Access 2000 but it only links the name, address and keywords. I don't know about earlier versions.

In 2002/2000. go to the File menu, Get External data, Link tables
In the Files of type box select Exchange
Find the public folder that you want to link to.

I too am trying to establish linked tables between Access XP and Exchange. It looks like its working fine to my contacts in my mailbox on the server but not the public folders. The problem is I cannot even establish a link to the public folders.

I get the following error when I try to make the connection.

"The MAPI store "Mailing List" is known but is not available in the current profile. This can occur if you use a profile that is designated for working offline from a server and try to link to a folder or address book on the server. The wizard is unable to link to it."

Mailing List is the public folder, my MAPI profile is connected to the server, I'm not using a PST or OST connection to sync to the server. This is a desktop not laptop.

There is one thing that we think might be causing some issues, that is that we use ADS authentication on the Exchange Server and NT authentication on the workstations. Again, I was able to link and modify data from access to my personal conatcts which are stored on my online mailbox in exhchange. I have admin rights to the Mailing List in the public folders.

Any ideas?

Ed

I've tried this with several public folders and am getting a mixed response. My main Business Contacts folder is linked OK. However other public folders do not link and I get the message referred to by EddyB. This leads me to think it is something to do with the settings for the folders. I'll keep looking, if you get the answer let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back