Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking a SQL Server 7 DB to an AS400 using OLE DB or ODBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCrawford

Programmer
Sep 7, 2000
US
Can anyone help me with the required Linked Server Properties needed to connect "link" to an AS400 DB Server using Enterprise Manager.

I would prefer to use OLE DB, but ODBC would be acceptable as well. I am using IBM Client Access to establish the communications link between the AS400 & the SQL Server NT machine, and have both the ODBC driver & the OLE DB Provider installed.

I think (hope) the information I need should be simple, I just need to know how to set the properties listed below.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Properties:
Linked Server
Provider Name
Product Name
Data Source

I think those are the only ones I need, but if not please let me know.
[sig][/sig]

We tried using the OLEDB provider from Client Access Express, but without luck. Instead, I'm using the Microsoft OLE DB provider for ODBC Drivers and I have an ODBC DSN setup for Client Access ODBC. The only thing needed was the Provider Name and the Data Source Name - the client access ODBC setting had the remaining connection information.

FYI...

If you are using the OLEDB provider, you will need to ensure that you are also using SNA server or the later Host Integration Server. If not, then use the ODBC driver...

Here's a quote from Microsoft Premier Support:
"AS/400 db can be accessed by

(1) using the driver provided by IBM
(2) using the OLEDB driver provided by Microsoft.

Microsoft driver requires the installation of the 'SNA client' on the client machine. To install the OLEDB for DB2 you need to choose the custom installation during the SNA client setup and select the OLEDB Driver DB2 option. Either of the above solutions should work fine."

:)

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back