Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking a Excel file (.csv) into Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

moben

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
GB
Dear All,

I have a spreadsheet saved with a 'csv' extension. The 1st column contains incrementing numbers 1058, 1059, 1060, 1061 etc.

I link this file into a Access 2000 database and proeceed through the link wizzard no problems.

When I view the linked file within Access, the numbers look the same, except when scrolling down, I'll get, 1058, 1059, 60, 1061.

For 1 row, 1061 is being displayed as 60.

If I lokk at the linked csv file, that particular cell displays 1061.

So what I did was to open the Excel file, delete the value of 1060 and manually type in 1060, save & exit.

When viewing in Access, the value correctly displayed as 1060.

Does anybody have any ideas ? The Excel csv file is generated by another company, which is then fed into our Access database, which runs a query based upon numbers being greater than a certain value i.e. select all >1058, this would imply 1060 (being seen by Access as 60) being ignored, which is not correct.

Regards,

Moben

Is it possible that there was an empty field, or missing comma, or a quote within the data in that area of the csv file? Just a guess, since I see no other explanation for the situation.

Hi Jedraw,

No I have checked the original file and that particular cell.

For some reason Access is seeing it differently, but then why not all of the data, why only 1 record amongst 100s ?

Thanks for you response.

Moben.

Have you tried viewing the CSV file (which isn't actually an Excel file, but a text file) in a text editor such as Notepad? This may give you a clearer indication of how the value for this particular field differs to the other records.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Hi Ed,

Tried that in notepad. Could not see any difference between the other values.

Very strange, just can' put my finger on it ?

Moben.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back