Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking a Cisco Router and Switch in Cisco Networking Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjkomidar

MIS
Dec 8, 2008
US
I have just set up a new community showing the WAN for our network. I am having a small problem that I haven't been able to resolve:

How do I get the link to show up between a router and switch? For example, the software automatically shows the link between 2 switches (2x 2950's) but not between any of my routers and the switches (1711 and a 2950). The routers and switches are plugged directly into eachother. As you know, these links are the standard green links that show me a plethora of information about the specific link.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

I've never played with it, but I would guess it uses CDP - have you checked what your routers tell you when you issue "show cdp neigh"?

It did not show anything, however I enabled CDP (cdp run).

How long does it take it to recognize devices connected to it? The documentation I have doesn't really say. Thanks!

Should be a minute or so if you show CDP it gives you the advertisement time.

CDP can be blocked if you don't pass unstagged traffic over the medium connecting the devices - we found that an issue with radio links we had.

Other than that if CDP is running both ends then they should pick each other up. If CNA is anything like Ciscoworks it will then need to scan round and pick up the relationships from the switch/router tables so it will need SNMP access to get this info.

nevermind... I figured it out... i had to enable CDP on the specific port...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back