Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking 3 databases together as one

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangledbabyducks

Technical User
Mar 24, 2004
US
I am using Crystal Reports 10 with Interbase databases thru an EasySoft IB7 ODBC connection. I have three identical databases on separate servers and I need to treat them as one. I set up three different ODBC connections so that I can include them all in one report. The problem I am having is that when I try to create an SQL command and Union them together, the command will not see the other databases as they are on separate ODBC's.

Hi,
Can you create a view in one of those databases that combines the data from all 3 ?

I am not sure of the capabilities of that database engine as far as remote connections ( like Oracle's database link) are concerned..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I do not have a way of creating a view as I only have READ rights to the tables.

MBD

Hi,
In that case the only solution I can see is to use an intermediate database ( Like Access ) to import ( or link to) those 3 tables and then use them from Access for your report.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Look at the way Crystal is generating SQL under the Database->Show SQL Query and try to emulate that. I seem to recall it had the connection in front.

As for Turk's suggestion, you can link (don't import) the files into an Access table and generate a query in Access for use by Crystal.

Probably be faster anyway.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back