Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked table mgr HELP - you do not have access to ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJG0526

Programmer
Jul 5, 2002
US
In Access97, I'm trying to run the linked table manager but it keeps giving me the error that I don't have access to c:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\*.mdb. The mdbs I'm linking from and to are not in that folder although that folder does exist and I do have access to it.

What's going on here??

TIA,

Sally

Yeah - one of the mdbs you are linking to is on a workgroup or you don't have the rights to a workgroup you are on to a certain mdb. OR....

It may be windoze - in which case see your techie bokes about getting read/write access to the folder (assuming you are at work).

Vince

Both mdbs belong to the same workgroup and I'm logged into it. I also am in as administrator and have access to everything. Any other ideas? Why is it looking in that folder?

Perhaps reinstall the add-in table manager..?

Vince

Reinstall didn't make a difference. Any other ideas?
Thanks

I had this happen to me the other day, but I don't remember what the problem was. I only remember that the message was completely misleading, nothing to do with the real problem.

Is Access user security turned on in the database containing the links? If so, your user account must have Modify Design permission on the table links (as opposed to on the actual tables in the other database).

As a workaround, you might try deleting the links and recreating them with the new database. In fact, that may be what I did to fix my problem.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Got it! I was joined to the work group but didn't log into it. The error message really DOESN'T make any sense! It should say something like "You don't have sufficient MS Access permissions on xxxxx.mdb to link the tables".

Thanks for the replies from Ecniv and RickSpr!!

Any way to require that you log into a workgroup before opening the mdb? I know you can thru a shortcut but you can bypass that if you open the mdb directly from the explorer.

Sally

SJG0526 wrote: "Any way to require that you log into a workgroup before opening the mdb?"

Absolutely! Just give the Admin user in that workgroup a password. That will bring up the logon dialog every time you start access while joined to the workgroup.

Rick Sprague
Want the best answers? See faq181-2886
To write a program from scratch, first create the universe. - Paraphrased from Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back