Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked SQL Servers and ODBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CylonLove4Life

Technical User
Feb 15, 2005
ES
I'd like to set up an ODBC DSN to a table in a linked SQL Server, via my local SQL Server.

I'm having a few problems:
1. When I use Enterprise Manager to link the remote SQL Server, it doesn't allow me to select the database in the remote server. It only shows one database.

2. When I use the Data Sources program to set up the ODBC DSN, it only shows databases in the local SQL Server, not in the linked one. If I try typing it in: [NAMEOFLINKEDSERVER].databasename - it tells me that it is an invalid table.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me get started with this. If my post is unclear or you need more info, just let me know!

When you list the tables in a linked server in Enterprise Manager it only shows you the default database of the user on the remote server.

You can't query a database, you have to query a table. To query a table on the remote server you have to use the full four part name of the object.
Code:
select *
from ServerName.DatabaseName.Owner.Object

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Right, but my question is:

Using the ODBC Adminsitrator, you can choose a default database for the Data Source that you are creating.

I'd like the default database to be a databse in the linked server - but the ODBC Administrator won't allow this.

Your default database has to be on the server you are connecting to. Your default database can't be on a remote server as you don't have direct access to that database.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back