Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linked server? i think its what its called...

Status
Not open for further replies.

akalinowski

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2006
US
I cant find instructions on how to do the following:
i have 1 production server and 1 server as a data warehouse of sorts.
i want one table to be queried live from the production server while running ssrs or odbc queries against the data warehouse.
the production server has only ecommerce transactional data and the datawarehouse has aggrigate data from several systems so it would not be possible to just run the query on the live web server since i am trying to compare new orders coming in against inventory in the separate systems realtime for the web the other systems do not have high transaction rates and are not sql (providex & oracle) so its not important to read them live.

thanks.

akalinowski

Yes. Linked Servers.

There are tons of sites that can step you through the process of creating a linked server from one database to another. [google]SQL Server Set Up Linked Server[/google]

Once you have the linked server set up, you will need to use the 4 part naming convention to access the data. Ex:

[tt]
Select Col1, Col2, RemoteTable.ColX, RemoteTable.ColY
From MyTableOnLocalServer
Inner Join NameOfLinkedServer.DatabaseName.SchemaName.TableName As RemoteTable
On MyTableOnLocalServer.ColumnID = RemoteTable.ColumnID
[/tt]

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back