Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked Server collation type error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisDodgson

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
GB
Hi,

I'm a bit stuck and any and all advice / help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a server (called for arguments sake: server1), this server and all the tables in all the databases on it have the following collation type: SQL_Latin1_General_CI_AS.

Server1 is linked to Server2. The server collation type of Server2 is also SQL_Latin1_General_CI_AS. However, for some reason unknown to me, the collation type on the tables in the relevant database on Server2 is set to Latin1_General_CI_AS.

So now, when I try to run union queries (for example) between Server1 and Server2 tables I get the following error:

Cannot resolve collation conflict for UNION operation.

The query I'm using runs as follows:

select * from [server2].reports.dbo.specialties
union
select * from server1.reports.dbo.specialties_local

(The two tables are identical in structure apart from collation type and I am not allowed to change the collation type of the tables on either server!)

Any and all ideas greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

You can use the COLLATE statement in the query to change the collation type of the columns. You'll need to specify all the columns in the select statements.

For example I create two tables on my server named #test1 and #test2. Test one has a collation of greek_ci_as and #test2 is SQL_Latin1_General_CI_AS. Each table has a column called C1.
Code:
select C1 from #test1
union all
select C1 COLLATE greek_ci_as from #test2

You'll need to put the collate statement at each of the char, varchar, text, ntext, nvarchar, nchar, etc collums in the table.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

no problem

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back