Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

pajarokillo

Programmer
May 3, 2004
ES
Hi, i'd like to know how from a report to display other report in PDF format using parameters of the first report

Not sure what you mean exactly. Are you trying to pull up a subreport in PDF with a main report or just link two completely seperate reports and when one gets converted to PDF, the other gets converted to PDF and displayed also?

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

I am not sure you can link to a report once the base report is in PDF format. I believe you need the base report to be in the Reporting Services viewer (web page) in order to link or drill-down to other reports.

ookete - true for PDF - PDF is a final stage document. In other words, it is designed not to change so links and things like that do not work. However. If you export to excel, because the wholse shebang is based on XML, excel carries all the links etc over with it - you can get to linked reports etc from an excel export.....This does cause a bit of a problem however - any excel export is prone to some serious bloating.....200k files can easily become 5 meg files...

Rgds, Geoff

Well, he's kind of had it in for DPlank ever since he accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

ok, i'm spanish and my english isn't good.
Well, i want that my base report, that i rendered it in HTML format, each other record of the base report link to other report in PDF format . Could it be done?
I wait that i explain me better. Very thanks for heard me.

Let me rephrase. If I get this wrong, let me know.

You have a base report rendered in HTML. When you pull that up, you want any linked reports to be pulled up in PDF format?

If I am correct about what you are trying to do, then I think you'll have to write an ASP page for your reports with buttons that generate the reports in PDF.

If you link reports by creating a subreport within the main report, however, you can export the main report to PDF and the subreport will export with it. Unfortunately, they will be in the same report, not generated as seperate PDF files.

Does this answer your question?

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

Yes Catadmin, your first consideration is the correct. Could you show me an example about it?

Sorry, I haven't done this myself. I don't code in ASP.

You should check with the ASP group and see how you can create a web page with buttons that can render a report in PDF.

Does anyone else on this group ASP well enough to answer the question?

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back