Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked fields in Forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathie1101

Technical User
Apr 19, 2002
GB
Hi

Im hoping somebody can help me. I am new at using Access (using Access 2000) and I am setting up a database but I am having a problem with a form which shows the materials and cost to produce a product. The form consists of the following fields: Card Code, Card Name, Card Type, Card Occassion, then 10 fields named Materials 1-10, with 10 fields for the Unit Price of each material. I also have fields named: cost to produce, selling price & profit. I have used combo boxes so that I can select the materials used from a drop down list, but I need the form to automatically insert the unit price for the corrosponding material used. I have no idea how to do this - help please!

The way I have my database set up so far is:

A table (named stock) showing the materials, stock, unit price before discount, and discount.

I then have a query (named stock details extended) which calculates the unit price after discount.

I then produced my form (named Cards Made) based on the information in the above query.

So, basically I need to know how when a material is selected in my form, do I get it so it enters in the next field the corrosponding unit price for that material.

I hope somebody can understand what I am asking, and I apologise if I have given too much/too little information. I would really appreciate a response if possible that explains it simply, as like I say I am new to using Access.

TIA

Kathie

You can use a DLookup to do this:

In the control source of the UnitPrice control, set it as the following:
= DLookup("[UnitPrice]","[Stock]","[Material] = " & Forms![Cards Made]![cboMaterial])

This should display the Unit price for the selected unit. You will have to check the field names I used are correct & adjust to suit.

James Goodman

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately I can't get it to work, no matter what I try.

I have now made my database simpler and tried it again, but still no joy. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Originally my form was run from a query, but I now have it run from a table. This is what I have in my database now:

Table
Name:Suppliers
Field: SupplierID which is an auto number and primary key
Field:Company Name which is a text box

Table
Name:products
Field: ProductID which is an auto number and primary key
Field: ProductCode which is a text box
Field: ProductName which is a text box
Field: SupplierID which is a number box
Field: UnitPrice which is a currency box

Table
Name:CardStyle
Field: CardID which is an auto number and primary key
Field: CardType which is a text box
Field: CardOccassion which is a text box

The ProductID field in table Products is linked to the SupplierID field in table Suppliers with a relationship of one to many.

I then have the the following form:
Name:Cards
Field: CardCode Unbound text box to manually enter the code
Field: CardType Combobox which is taking the info from the CardStyle table
Field: CardOccassion Combobox which is taking the info from the CardStyle table
Field: ProductName Combobox which is taking its info from the Products table (bound to column 1 and Column Count is 2, so in drop down list it shows the productname and the unitprice)
Field: UnitPrice Textbox ??????????????

I can get all the combo boxes in the form to bring up the information I need, but it is just the UnitPrice field that I cannot do - It needs to autofill when the ProductName is selected. This is what I had typed into the control source of the text box:
=DLookUp("[UnitPrice]","[ProductsCrafts]","[ProductName] = " & [Forms]![Cards]![cboProductName])

I even tried replacing the last bit with [cboUnitPrice])

I am really stuck, so any help would be appreciated, and I am sorry to be a pain.

Can anybody suggest a really good book that gives clear step by step instructions for using Access? I have borrowed 4 from the library but they all just mention basic stuff, none of them cover things like this.

TIA

Kathie

=DLookUp("[UnitPrice]","[Products]","[ProductName] = '" & [Forms]![Cards]![cboProductName] & "'")

Is the bound column of the cboProductName is ProductCode
or ProductName.
If that is ProductName above is ok else try lower one

=DLookUp("[UnitPrice]","[Products]","[ProductCode] = '" & [Forms]![Cards]![cboProductName] & "'")

Get to me if i am wrong

Thanks for the help, I couldn't get it to work though. However after reading other posts and refering to the Microsoft Access help I managed to do it this way:

In the control source of the text box UnitPrice I put:
=[Forms]![Cards]![ProductName].[Column](1) And this seemed to do the trick. I don't know what I was doing wrong for your suggestions not to work, but at least it is O.K now. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Kathie

The Fact is that the bound column was not ProdcutName but
some othere
The first column was product name

The Fact is that the bound column was not ProdcutName but
some othere
The second column was product name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back