Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linkbuilder fms II management

Status
Not open for further replies.

petedl

Technical User
Mar 31, 2002
GB
I have just aquired a linkbuilder fms II 12 port switch but don't know how to link into it unfortunatly I don't have its ip address.

I told I can link in using a com port but this doesn't seem to work either. Also what are the default login details.
:-(

This hub doesn't have management, so you can't put ip.

bye

lomba

petedl,
I just picked one of those hubs up today. I am going through and figuring out the console port on the darn thing. I will post results (and hopefully some home brew documentation) here as well on my website. Until then...

What's this linkbuilder for? Can anyone please enlighten me?

Thanks!

I've just tried that link for the tech specs, and it doesn't work. Also, mine has the part number 3c16670 printed on it, so could be a different item.

I've already had a look on 3com's website, and found zilch on there connected with this hub (found the associated management unit, which I don't have, but that's all) so any help with this item would be much appreciated.

3c16670 = 3Com LinkBuilder FMS-II 100

Does anybody have any documentation for this thing? It was sold to me as a 12-port 100baseTX hub but I can only get it to work as a 10baseT hub, so I'm wondering if there's something I need to do to switch it over, or if it's only a 10baseT hub.

This unit is a 12 port 10Base T hub.
For management you need a Y16630 which slots in the back.

3c16671 = 24 port version of the LinkBuilder FMS II Family,
3c16670 = 12 port version of the same family.

The specs link works as of today (March 7, 2003) however, there is a problem. The link was entered with a space, which results in only part of the link.

The correct link is:

Note: EVERYTHING from the http: until the end of 16671aug.pdf should be part of the link, and there should be no spaces. (If the forum damages the link, copy and paste it to the address bar and remove any spaces.)

I hope this helps.

You'll note that this is indeed an unmanaged hub, and does not have its own IP address.

As worker99 correctly points out it can have a management module onboard, this is a bulbous rectangular module that protrudes about 1-2cm from the back of the hub. The console cable is a null modem cable with settings 9600,8,1,n. The username is if memory serves security the def password is security.

This is a 10BASE-TX hub and you have been missold it if the seller says it was fast ethernet.

See the 3com website and search for documentation on discontinued ranges to find documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back