Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link two sets of results, use as starting point for a third?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabeaver

MIS
Aug 11, 2004
GB
We currently use Business Objects desktop full client 5.1.6 to report on our complaint case handling but due to the limitations of the software we are not able to take two (or more) sets of data from the same source then link them and use the results as a starting point for a third set of results. This is similar to the way that you can create a query in MS Access which links two tables and you can then use the query to further filter the results or link to other tables.

Can MicroStrategy do this? Also, is there a scheduling component that will run specified reports at a certain time each day?

I wasn't even aware of MicroStrategy until I stumbled across it today when I was looking for something else so I know next to nothing about the software (apart from the info that is on their website).

I think you are talking about a feature called "report filtering", while you can use a report which is a query result of the first two set of data, then use it as a filter for other datasets. For MicroStrategy, the intermediate result sets are "temp tables", and they are accessable. MicroStrategy also has a feature called "datamarting" where you will leave the result dataset in the warehouse for future use. Any way, MicroStrategy SQL engine is much smarter then BOBJ. Hope these helps.

That sounds like what we would like to do, thanks for the info. I'm going to try and find some more info to see if it's worth trying to convince management to switch.

Also, the component that allows scheduling MicroStrategy is called Narrowcast Server, similiar to BUSOBJ 'Broadcast Agent' (may be a old term).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back