Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link to tables on network start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowley58

Programmer
Jun 25, 2001
US
Configuration is Set of dynamic tables situated on workstation used as server. Other databases on other Pc's access these tables across network via UNC addressing. When the network breaks :( , the clients cannot access the linked tables until some form of connection is made . For example if you search for and find the PC where the tables are located , using the standard search facility, then the linked tables become accessible.

Is there a way of linking to the server using the relecant user name and password, when the 'client' databases are started?

John.

do you want to open a table/form/report on startup into you dbase? if so, try tools then startup then select the form\report for startup. i don't display database window while opening a custom made switchboard/form.

additionly, you've linked the tables via get external data and link - right? or insert table then link?

hope this helps

marknla2

jhowley58;
OK, I think I understand what you are asking. You want the database to search for the link on starup of the Front-End database on the client machine. If the link is broken, then re-link to the backend on startup. I am assuming that you do not have the database window exposed to the client. I have a routine that I use in my apps that does just that. The reason I had to find a soulution is this: while developing a database, and the front-end and back-end are split, Access by default sets the link path to that path which is used on the developer machine. i.e... c:\backend. But if you install the back-end say to F:\backend at the server then the client is searching for c:\backend because thats how it was upon development. I found my code example on the Knowledge Base at Microsoft. I am sorry I do not remember the exact article #.

NO... I use UNC addressing so the physical address is immaterial. What happens is:

On startup of my database on the front end , it tries to access the database on another node, and is not allowed to because of incorrect name and password.

John

John;
Please forgive me for incorrect info.[blush] I would like to watch this thread and see how this works out. I wonder if ADO code might work here by passing the log-in and password?

I don't really believe that this is an Access problem.
It is more to do with the fact that the 'client' PC is not opening any kind of a link to the server (really another workstation) when it boots up. I say this because if I map a network drive to the server, or if I do a search for that server, and find it, then the clent database can subsequently access the linked tables. So what I need to do is get some code to programmatically link to the server whenever the client database is fired up. I just can't seem to find any though.. :eek:(

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back