Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link to PDF Files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgundave

Programmer
Sep 17, 2002
GB
Hi All,

I want to put a link on a website to a PDF file. I want the PDF file to be displyed within the browser window.

I have put a link in and have made sure that the link is correct to the location of the PDF file and have remembered to put .pdf as a file extention.

Problem- Each time I click on the link I get a blank window with a small coloured icon in the top left and the browser stops loading e.g. 'done' message.

If I open the PDF file directly from where it is saved I can open it ok.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hope you all had a good new year.

Make sure you are putting the complete path to the PDF file in the link. It is also easier if you have the PDF file in the root of the Web page.

An example of how I am doing on a site I have:

<body>

<p><a href=&quot;file:///C:/CATHEDRAL%20WEB%20PAGE/Minister_Schedule.pdf&quot;>View
Schedule</a> Located in a Web Folder</p>
<p> </p>

<p><a href=&quot;file:///C:/Minister_Schedule.pdf&quot;>View Schedule</a> located in
the root of the hard drive</p>

</body>

Sounds also like it became corrupt. Try to re-upload the pdf to the server and see if that helps. DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

Hi Guys,

Thank you both for your posts. I have taken all advise but unfortunatly have still had no luck.

I have tried linking a completely differant PDF file to see if the original one may have been corupt, I got the same problem. I have also tryed to access it whilst using a differant browser and this also did not make any differance.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Shotgundave

<TD align=left><SPAN class=sidebarBody><A href=&quot;briefs/euromes31eng.pdf&quot; class=&quot;maintext&quot; target=&quot;_new&quot;>A Letter from </A></SPAN></TD>

Here you go. Sorry should have done this before.

Regards,

Shotgundave

might be a bit of a nobrainer but have you tried putting in the full, absolute file path to the file with leading forward slash etc:

A href=&quot;/http_server_root/briefs/euromes31eng.pdf&quot;

I've tried your html using one of my own files and it seems to work okay.

Joe.

Thank you Jo,

Problem resolved, much appreciated.

Regards,

Shotgundave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back