Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link to files on the Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel2228

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
US
Ok, let's give this forum a try!

I am setting up an employee web site, so that users can access files they have stored on our server, from anywhere.

Can I set up a link to access files that are not located within the web? but are just randomly located on the hard drive? For example, the main page comes up, and within it is a link to an Excel Spreadsheet located in someone's personal folder?

is it as simple as

file://computername/somefolder/somedocument

this works for me now, but i am on the same network as the computer. what about if i try to access it from a computer on an outside network?

thanks!!

You really don't want to be giving people a direct route to the hard-drives of personal computers in your work place. That constitues a MAJOR security risk. If you want to have a look at some companies who provide dashboard facilities, try or
Let the professionals handle that stuff.

The site is set up so that only employees have permissions to view anything contained in the site. Is this still a security risk?

It will not work on INTRANET either unless all the users have access to "computername". Overall, have "file:///" links is a bad practice. What prevents you from putting those files that you'd like to reference on the Web server and access them normally via http?

---
---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back