Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link Tables in Access from Web to Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

markbrum

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
GB
Hi,

From my desktop when I go:

> get external data > link tables

is it possible to find a table in an access db which is on my webserver?

Thanks, Mark.

Have you tried with ODBC ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Are you trying to find a db name where the location is unknown or is it that you just don't know how to get into it?

If you are running Windows NT or 2000 over a WAN like our company, then instead of looking at just the local server choices when the "find db" window pops up, go into "Entire Network" then find the server name and folder name for the db you want. You can then link to its tables as though it were on your own PC.

Depending on your network, it might be a bit slow when you run your database while it links up each time to the remote database.

PHV. Thanks for your response, sorry if this is a dumb question but should I try to set up the ODBC connection on the desktop machine or on the webserver? If I set it up on the webserver how would I then address it?

Locoman. Thanks also, the webserver is totally remote, locally I am using XP. I think the webserver is 2003 IIS6. From the find db dialogue I can choose ftp locations but I know it's not possible to make a link throug ftp.

Thanks again, Mark.

try to set up the ODBC connection on the desktop machine

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

PHV. I have tried to set up an ODBC on the desktop machine. In order to select the remote database I think I would have to map the web server so I can browse it but I'm unsure how to do this other than by FTP which doesn't seem to work.

thanks, mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back