Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link table to new database source 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kastaman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2001
CA
Hi there,

I'm creating a database that will link to a table. The problem I have is that every month, they recreate the DB and change the name of the DB to reflect the month/yr (DBName_09/2004).

Is there a way to update my table links for any month as a pop-up screen or at any point I have the DB open?

Thanks in advance,

Kastaman

You could include code that removes the link to the old database and creates a link to the new one. Something like this...

DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, TableName
Set db = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase("NewDbName")
DoCmd.TransferDatabase acLink, "Microsoft Access", "NewDbName", acTable, "SourceTableName, "LinkedTableName"

Randy

How does the code get triggered?
I was hoping for a way for me to dictate which table I'd like to connect to by way of filling in the source table info.

Thanks in advance,

Kastaman

Use text boxes or input boxes to fill in the source table and any other information that needs to be entered manually. Place the code in the click event of a command button. You might have to modify the code to reflect the text box or variable names, such as....

DoCmd.TransferDatabase acLink, "Microsoft Access", strNewTableName, acTable, strSourceTableName, strLinkedTablename

or

DoCmd.TransferDatabase acLink, "Microsoft Access", me.txtNewTable, acTable, me.txtSourceTableName, me.txtLinkedTableName

Randy

Thanks Randy,

I created a Macro to import the data, but there are 2 files that need to be imported each month.

Would it be easier just to run the import command 2x, each time identifying which month and file to be imported rather than creating 2 commands that will ask which files to import from the text boxes?

Thanks in advance,

Kastaman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back