Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link/Resource Down on Expansion Module 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneGuy88

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2012
US
I have two expansion modules (DS30A) that will eventually be connected to a bunch of Nortel 7316E phones through amphenol connectors. Right now the expansion modules are connected to the IP Office but nothing is plugged into the front of them.

Should I be concerned that system status says that the Link/resource is down for these expansion modules, or is that a result of them not having stations connected to them? Right now the expansion modules are blinking green on the LED. I have disconnected the ethernet cables, swapped the ports, and rebooted the IPO and system status says the same thing.

I can't test these until cutover when we disconnect the amphenol connectors and connect them to these modules, so I just want to make sure everything's good on my side before that happens.

red means that the module was once detected and the ports added for configuration but now is no longer detected.

What's the simplest way to reset that? I've tried moving the expansion module to another port but that doesn't seem to change anything.

IP Office 500v2 running 8.1.52

Preferred edition license, though I am in the middle of a license swap with Avaya at the moment, so my Preferred Edition license is invalid, would that impact the detection of expansion modules?

Pretty much all my licenses (aside from IP endpoints) are invalid at the moment until Avaya verifies them. I just didn't think that would impact the detection of a module.

Thanks, I will re-check after my licenses are verified.

When the leds on the modules are blinking green then they are not connected and you will need to reboot the IPO.
ofcourse this will not work as you do not have the correct licenses yet.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Got my licenses validated today, unfortunately the expansion modules did not detect.

I called my support provider (Catalyst) and they said I was following the correct detection procedure. But even erasing the config on the IPO wouldn't detect the modules.

To make things worse, halfway through all the unplugging and plugging in of modules, one of the modules started flashing orange very fast and then quit. It would light up Red upon power and then turn off.

The other module just persistently flashes green, nothing else.

Catalyst said the issue might be with my IPO, but I really can't afford to have issues with that. I'll pursue every other option before coming to that conclusion.

I grabbed a serial cable from RadioShack and took the modules home to another IPO that I have. I then followed these instructions:
I was able to rescue the first module, the one that flashed red and shut off. I did a DTE to hyperterminal and then rebooted the IPO, it did a zillion ACKs and then successfully updated the module from 10.0.44 to 10.1.52. The module now detects successfully on my test IPO. I will take it back tomorrow and hopefully it will work on the original IPO.

The second module has a totally different issue, when I load it on DTE, it doesn't have the AT-X command listed, nor does it recognize the command. It simply says "Error" when I enter that command. See the screenshot for the available commands it lists. What are my options here? Is this module bricked or still rescue-able?

ds30a.png

You should not have used AT-X at all if you did not try anything else yet!!!
But there is a faq from Intrigrant.
Read it and try it.
Follow it step by step!

BAZINGA!

If saw earlier in my post, I linked to intigrant's FAQ as that is what I used to rescue the first module.

What other options do I have? No AT commands are recognized.

What do you see when you restart the module?
So what do you see on the led and in hyperterminal?

BAZINGA!

What's the restart command?

The LED is continuously flashing green.

If I run the command for assert current map, it says:
Panic at 7885142ms
BUS Fault occured

you can type "reboot"

But it is flashing green so try a reboot of the IPO first.
Do this 10 or 20 times when it does not work, this is something that happens sometimes these days.

BAZINGA!

Still nothing. Talked to Catalyst and we're gonna RMA it. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back