Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link new task to latest task

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krusher

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2003
US
Does anyone have any ideas on creating a macro that allows me to insert a new task and link it as a successor to a task with the latest finish date? Basically I want the macro to search through every task in the project and determine the "newest" task.

-K

What if there are two (or more) tasks with the latest finish date?

What if the task with the latest finish date is a milestone?

What level of resolution is the "latest finish date"? yy mm dd or yy mm dd : hh or yy mm dd : hh : mn ?

PDQBach,
Good questions! There shouldn't be more than one task with the same finish date. The dates are formatted as dd/mm/yy. Also, milestones are fine as potential predecessors. I actually looked at the "ActiveProject.Finish" value as a potential answer, however, it gives me the last finish date for the whole project file. To drill down even deeper into this issue, I really only want to look for the latest finish date where a sub (child) task name = "Design." Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. You have helped me in past and your input is always valuable!

-K

PDQBack,
I just got it!!! I decided to sort by finish date and filter on task name "Design" and then select the last record in the list. Easier than I thought I guess! Thanks, K

Sounds like an eminently workable solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back