Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link highlight, how to do this? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkymonk

Technical User
Dec 18, 2000
GB
Hi

I've been away from flash for a while and am feeling a little rusty. What I want to create is an effect like the one at for a site idea I'm playing with.

The bit I want is the sub links section (under the main links, you will have to click one of the main links to see what I'm on about) where the links are highlighted with a bar that comes from the right side of the links and covers the one that the mouse is over, then slides back to the right when you roll off the link.

All I want is to know how to make that bar scroll to position like that. I've looked around a bit but found nothing (that I can see) that will do this but I'm not really sure what i should be searching for.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Funky
funkymonk2.jpg

funkymonk@blueyonder.co.uk

its just a 2 frame movie clip i think with something like

on (rollover){gotoandstop(2);}
on (rollout){gotoandstop(1);}

it doesnt look much more complicated than that

Not sure I understand.

So how would it scroll then? I thought it would have some complicated ActionScript that told it where to slide too because as you move over the links it slides with the mouse highlighting the links.
funkymonk2.jpg

sounds like we may be talking about different effects.

where exactly on the site do you see this bar.

I think we may :)

On the electricrain site you have the main navigation at the top of the page (with links: Product | Store | Support etc).

If you click "Products" you will get a sellection of links underneath for Swift3D | Swift 3D MAX etc) When you mouse over these links you should see the bar slide from the right to cover the link you have moused over. When you move to another link the bar moves appropriatley. This is what I'm after.
funkymonk2.jpg

i see what you mean now and the answer is still the same as my first post

the bar is a movie clip on top of which there are some buttons

inside the bar movie clip the first frame may be empty and then some keyframes with the bar at different lengths

on the buttons something like

on (rollover)(_root.bar.gotoandstop(frame);}

and similar for rollout.

if you want to recreate the effect it should be quite straightforward

Thanks Bill, I'll give it a go.
funkymonk2.jpg

Same effect i have seen on:

I will tink about it but if i won't reply to your post and you solved it please "reveal" it to me please :) Regards,
Dragos.

Bubu, I don't see the same effect there, those are basic buttons with a ball and highlight in the over state.

And I haven't solved it yet either.

Bill, I see what you mean about using key frames and then positioning the bar in the right place per key frame. For that I would use for example--

on (rollOver) {
bar.gotoAndStop ("relevantlabel");
}

--on each button.

But, how do I get it to slide to the correct position as it does on the erain site? I know it's not using Motion Tweening as I would have to set up Tweens for every possible motion.

I'm guessing it would be done by using X-Y coordinates of some kind in ActionScript to get it to move into the right possition and that's where my brain falls over, my ActionScripting runs to targeting and that about it at present.

I am so determined to learn ActionScript but I'm not sure I have the mind for it :) My animation and drawing is coming on well though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
flash@wic-id.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if I get a free 10 mins i will make a very basic copy of the effect and post the fla. that ought to get you started.

Sorry funkymonk i have misspeled the link:

Here is the same effect. The links that Bill posted are not working at me.

I will think on this effect and post the link if i will do it...i don't really have time these days...

Regards,
Dragos.

no i took that file down after a couple of days...thinking you already had it.

if you want it i can soon stick it on again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back