Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link Fault Green-Amber-Green LED, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdecker

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
Hi, I have a catalyst 3550 Switch. Multiple workstations are connected right now to it, and it goes to a 2621 xm router that connects to a larger network. For some reason, one of the workstations port LEDs will flash Green/Amber/Green/etc... when I try to transfer large files, >1MB. The transfer will still work though!! and once its done the LED stops flashing and goes back to steady green. Its only this one workstation, the other computers don't do it when they transfer files. I've tried moving the ethernet cable to a different port, but then the new port does the same thing. It seems to me that there might be a problem with the NIC card in the computer, what do you all think? Any suggestions?

The crazy thing here is that I still get good data transfer speeds...but i just dont like looking at that flashing LED ;)

Port status LED alternating green-amber indicates the following:
Link fault. Error frames can affect connectivity, and errors such as excessive collisions, CRC errors, and alignment and jabber errors are monitored for a link-fault indication.

pmays
ccie#8498

try forcing the switch and the workstation to the same speed/duplex. if there is a mismatch, then you will get tons of errors, and the link will be slow when transferring large files.

Degg
Network Administrator

Try to inspect the results of show interface or show controllers commands and read Cisco doc on Web (use Search for example):
- Troubleshooting Ethernet Collisions;
- Troubleshooting Cisco Catalyst Switches to Network Interface Card(NIC) Compatibility Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back