Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link Definity to site by IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

njadmin

Technical User
Sep 5, 2006
US
I've been asked to figure out how to go about connecting our current PBX (G3siV12 Software Version: R012i.01.1.414.1) to our HQ in a different state over our WAN link. Does anybody have a good place to start? - lol

Remote system is a Cisco VoIP system (don't have any more detail yet). Since this will be for a call support desk I was thinking of just using the 5 IP Softphone lic that are in the system but I'm not sure if that would work. I'll also need to purchase a TN23xx card just to test this and try to configure it.

If it helps I can post the installed options and system caps. Sorry for the sparse details but I don't know where to start with this.

Thanks

Jason

If you want to fully network 2 locations, you would typically do that via IP trunks. If you are just trying to give 4 digit dialing to a single helpdesk number, you would probably be better off just forwarding one of your extensions to the remote helpdesk via the PSTN.

-CL

I think they'll want it close to the way the other properties are setup. Pick up phone, dial a TAC and then ext and it will ring at a desk far,far away. I just have no clue how those link are configured and I'm trying to get info from them.

So if a can setup a IP trunk link to their system would I need to make major changes to my dial plan?

the dial plan in a uniform dial plan would need to be unique, no over lapping numbers and also just dial the 4 or 5 digit extension, no tac would be required it set up as a udp

Hmmmm, I'm not sure what they use. I have a 4 digit 7xxx range and some leftover outside that range for our last DP change (10 years ago). I think I would prefer a TAC then dial since there are more than 10 possible properties.

I didn't think of that, as long as they don't collide with my local exchanges. I'll update this once I have some more info.

Thanks joe2938

Depending on the scope setting up a IP trunk to the HQ, the using AAR set up a code like 11 for HQ. AAR 11 would have a route patern to go over the IP trunk.
User would dial 11(then extension) the extension would not need to be on your system, and it would not matter if it over lapped. Not idea, but would work. You would have to work with the Cisco Voice Eng. to setup the trunk on there end amd then they would have to figure out how to handle the digits. You might have to stip or add digits in the router pattern depending on what they needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back