Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link counter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmxd99

Programmer
Jul 19, 2005
US
Anyone knows how to track links on a website. I need to determine how many time a user click on a link of a given website. There is more than 1 link on a site. Thanks.

the link would have to go to a counter page, then redirected to the actual link. for example

<a href = "clickCounter.cfm?link=1">Click here</a>
on clickCounter.cfm you would add 1 to a stored value in a database for link number 1. then you would do a cflocation to the actual link distination.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.

I don't want to redirect to the actual link because the user can bookmark once he gets to the actual page and the count would not be accurate anymore when he comes back to that page. Is there a way to use application variable or custom tag to handle this?

I need to determine how many time a user click on a link of a given website
I see. The way you wrote your question it sounded like you needed to keep track of a "click through". A click through is usualy used on websites that gets paid for banners. The click through would count how many times a banner was clicked to the external site.

What you're actually asking for an individual hit counter for each page on your own web site.

Ask the right questions, get the right answers.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back