Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link connection invalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyniem

Programmer
Feb 5, 2013
CA
Hi,
I am brand new to powerbuilder. I am using version 10.5. I am trying to open an existing application. It runs the display a window 'Update Link', then it stops with 'Link connection invalid'. Click on the 'Links' button, I have the link: C:\DGN\application_name.dgn with Update 'Unavailable'. I have no idea what is this, and it closes if I click cancel.
Please help,
Thank you.

Look in the application open event for the code which opens the window. (or in the opening of the window opened by the application open event). You may be able to comment out whatever is failing or change the return so the app thinks everything is ok.

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time"

Thank you mbalent.
Should I do that in the debug mode? Because I can't even open the application to look at the code. I have opened this application before without any error. Suddenly I can't open it any more and it keeps looking for the *.dgn file.

do a search on your application (all pbl-files) of 'application.dgn' from library painter. Then if you can't open the object where it is referenced, simply 'edit the source' using right mouse button from library painter.

Hope it helps

regards,
Miguel L.

Matt,
Yes, I have the message at the very beginning. Say, I double click application.pbw. The powerbuild tries to open application space, then the message displays.

Miguel,
I searched the application and couldn't find any .dgn. I can go into change source but I have no idea what I should change to.
If I click open source, I have message Sybase PowerBuilder 10.5 has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Thank you both Matt, and Miguel.

So the problem might be in something present or wrong in/with the pbw file on which "you are doing a double-click to open powerbuilder"?

Try to open another pbw file if you have, see if that works.
Then (if you have the problem opening a workspace doing a double-click on it from windows explorer), try something else:

- inside the pbw file there'll be a list of applications with corresponding library lists (pbl-files). This is where you get the information from for recreating another pbw file (which is a "workspace").

- edit the pbw file with a text editor (make sure you make a backup copy first) and try to re-create the workspace 'from scratch':
(What I mean is: look inside the pbw file for your application and its libraries.)

1) Open Powerbuilder without clicking on the pbw file, but instead opening it from the windows menu.
2) Then create a new workspace (pbw file) and
3) add an "existing target", being the pbl where your application object resides, specifying the library files that you can see from the edited pbw file (the one that seems to give problems).

Hope it helps!

regards,
Miguel L.

>> If I click open source, I have message Sybase PowerBuilder 10.5 has encountered a problem and needs to close.

What kind (type) of object is it?
Is it inherited?
Can you edit the source, copy it and paste it here in a message?

regards,
Miguel L.

.DNG file? Might it be possible your application is working with CAD-files?
Then if so it might (be trying to) use a OCX control to manipulate that kind of files, since I believe powerbuilder doesn't support them without ocx.

regards,
Miguel L.

Hi Miguel,
I have 3 different applications in powerbuilder. The other two opens ok. They both don't update link and don't have any *.dgn.
The application (landscape) I have problem with, I open it before without any problem. Suddenly it tries to update link then displays message 'Some links could not be updated because their sources are presently unavailable. I have backup files of this application. So I uninstalled powerbuilder and reinstalled it and copy the backup files to working folder. But the problem still the same.
Thank you so much for helping me.

so I guess you must have some kind of link in some kind of control that links to a file no longer present.

>>Suddenly it tries to update link then displa...

What is this "link" is it some kind of control you have in a window or userobject?
If so, try to 'edit source', copy the code and paste it here.
Maybe it's in "binary" at the end of the 'edited source' and that's why the search doesn't work, or maybe even the name of the .dng file is somewhere obtained from a database table ... and assigned in code to some control.

No thanks,
Miguel

regards,
Miguel L.

Hi Miguel,
Thank you so much for fast response. To tell the truth, I have no idea at all. I am new with powerbuilder. I will check with my co-worker on Monday. She is very good at it but she is away this week. Hope we can find the problem.
Thanks again and have good weekend. I will post what I find out next week.

Enjoy the weekend, I'm preparing an interview of tomorrow, let's hope I get back to work!

regards,
Miguel L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back