Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link Aggregation with Nortel passport switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenC

MIS
Apr 7, 2003
US
Anyone know how to configure LPAC on a Nortel switch to match Link Aggregation with Solaris 10. I set up link aggregation using all the defaults and I am getting hardware mac address trying to be our ip errors. Supposedly this is due to the switch not being set up right, but I can't figure out how to set up the switch configurations.

Renee Carlisle
ServerWare Corporation
Rochester, NY

Any idea what model Passport you have?

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

They have an 8010...which isn't listed in the document Andy88 posted. That was the original document I gave them. They are still having issues. Anyone have a set up for the 8010 switch? We just want basic default configurations, nothing fancy. Thanks

Renee Carlisle
ServerWare Corporation
Rochester, NY

The 8010 is the 10 slot chassis for the 8600 product family, which is included in the link above.

Sorry guys, I am a consultant on another product that requires Link Aggregation. I do not know anything about setting up switches. I have already given this guide tot he Network admin and apparently there is still confusion. So, I need to ask some very specefic questions on the setup. Please bear with me:

1. enable Enables LACP globally - Does LACP have to be enabled globally? Will this have any effect on the other ports, or can you just turn LACP on at the required ports

2. On each specefic port you must click AdminEnable?

3. Will the Open Enable setting be set from the global attributes?

4. Do you have to set a key? Is this just an arbitrary number betwee 1 and 32? Do you use the same key on all the ports you want to aggregate (in my case three ports?)

5. Aggregation true/false I assume you set to true on each of the three ports

6. Do I just pick one of the three interface cards and set that port to active and the other two to passive?

7. The partner settings confuse me. What is the partner key? Do you only set the "key" value on active node and list this number under the partner-key value for the other two ports?

8. Same question for partner port...do you take the active port and put that port number under the partner port of the other two passive ports?

9. Do you need the partner-port-priority? How do you determine what to put in here?

10. Completely lost on how you get a hex value for the partner-state? Is this value necessary and where does it come from?

11. For the partner-system-id do you just take the mac address from the interface card on the active node and put that value here? if so, should the active node then be blank?

12. Partner-system-priority - is this necessary, where do you determine the value?

13. port-priority - same question, looks like there is a default value for this one I can leave set.

14. Do you need to set a system-priority? If so, what determines the value?

15. Log or short timeout (this is for a backup application)

Ok...that's it. Sorry, but the guide assumes you know something about Link Aggregation and about the network switch. I know neither, I just know I need it for my app to run. I really appreciate the help!

Renee Carlisle
ServerWare Corporation
Rochester, NY

I know nothing about solaris, but doesn't it has its own proprietary aggregation solution?

Configure a static MLT on the 8600 and a static aggregation on the solaris box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back