Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linguistic differences in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sggaunt

Programmer
Jul 4, 2001
GB
Our summer weather in the UK has gone downhill after a good start.
The Weather people are now describing it as autumnal.

I got to thinking what do you say in the USA, Fallish?
That seems unlikely?
In fact if you type 'define autumnal' into Google you get a [correct] definition from Princeton University!

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

ChrisHunt ... if it's related to politics, the term would more likely be "Fallsified". [wink]

[Cheers]

We have sweaters in the UK! Well, I certainly do.

I'm fascinated by the differences in grammer between English and American.

(And also generally annoyed that some software / web-based packages insist on prompting me to change my spelling to something that is incorrect in English, even though it may be correct in American.)

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

==> I'm fascinated by the differences in grammer between English and American.
I also find the differences in grammar (and spelling) interesting.
:)

--------------------

==> Santa, as in, the guy who took the fall or the fall guy?
No, that would be the guy that felon his sword to protect the guilty.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

See, we don't have those problems up here in northern Minnestoa.

We only have 2 seasons.

Winter, and road construction.

Really, our fall lasts about 3 weeks. It's like "Oh, look... the leaves are starting to tur... oh... wait... never mind. They just all fell off."

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Hey, those are the same two seasons as Buffalo, NY. That's why I left. Amazing how two regions are so alike...the weather is the same, the pro football teams both suck (and both have been 4 time superbowl losers).

Fee said:
(I am) generally annoyed that some software / web-based packages insist on prompting me to change my spelling to something that is incorrect in English, even though it may be correct in American.
Frankly, I'm amazed that during my three-year tenure on Tek-Tips, no Americans (of which I am one) has ever taken me to task for my exclusive use of "Anglicised" versus "Americanised" spellings. I enjoy threads where our differences in spellings are at the centre of the thread.

Wasn't it Mark Twain who referred to Blokes and Yanks as two nations separated by a common language?[2thumbsup]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

==> ... no Americans (of which I am one) has ever taken ...

no Americans has

Huh?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Pahdun me, John...You are absolutely correct.[2thumbsup]

[santa]Mufasa
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

England and America are two countries separated by the same language
Attributed to George Bernard Shaw.

Alternatively...
We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language
which is definitely Oscar Wilde in The Canterville Ghost. I think I've posted a link to this short story before, but it's worth posting again:
The old woman smiled, and answered in the same low, mysterious voice, 'It is the blood of Lady Eleanore de Canterville, who was murdered on that very spot by her own husband, Sir Simon de Canterville, in 1575. Sir Simon survived her nine years, and disappeared suddenly under very mysterious circumstances. His body has never been discovered, but his guilty spirit still haunts the Chase. The blood-stain has been much admired by tourists and others, and cannot be removed.'

'That is all nonsense,' cried Washington Otis; 'Pinkerton's Champion Stain Remover and Paragon Detergent will clean it up in no time,' and before the terrified housekeeper could interfere he had fallen upon his knees, and was rapidly scouring the floor with a small stick of what looked like a black cosmetic. In a few moments no trace of the blood-stain could be seen.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

In New Orleans we call it Hot!We also have two seasons - hot and hotter!

kmcginn said:
In New Orleans we call it Hot!We also have two seasons - hot and hotter!

Well, at least it's not quite as wet underfoot this year ;-)

All I ask of you
Is make my wildest dreams come true

Dave, your use of 'Blokes and Yanks' intrigues me. Pourquoi?

All I ask of you
Is make my wildest dreams come true

Sorry...When I lived in the UK, my Yank friends and I referred to English Dudes (as a group) as "Blokes" (which term the Blokes used to refer to themselves). So, it was force of habit.

In this instance, however, I should have opted for the more universally accepted term (when comparing/contrasting to "Yanks"), "Brits".

[santa]Mufasa

In Upper Michigan, where I'm from, there's two seasons as well, snowin' and meltin'.

--Gooser

I was in Indonesia a few years back. They have two seasons, the hot season and the wet season. As it's always both hot and wet, only the natives know which season they're in at any given time.

Here in the UK we just have a wet season :-(

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

We had a cool front come through last night. It's only going to be 90 today, with 70% humidity. Practically fall in New Orleans already.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

My wife is from the Philippines...much like Indonesia, they have two seasons, summer, which lasts for about 9 months, and the rainy season. It's very hot and very humid year round.

Santa said:
Frankly, I'm amazed that during my three-year tenure on Tek-Tips, no Americans (of which I am one) has ever taken me to task for my exclusive use of "Anglicised" versus "Americanised" spellings. I enjoy threads where our differences in spellings are at the centre of the thread
And I never would take you to task. You are perfectly entitled to be American! I just take offence at software that tells me it will check my 'English' spelling, and then attempt to change it to 'American'. And I find that to be an odd position for me, as I am not English myself.

Most people from overseas seem to think that the Welsh do not mind being described as English. And that is not at all true!

As an aside, I am just watching a biography of Diana, Princess of Wales, and wondering; I'm not sure anymore if I am stil a fan of hers, but the one thing that she definately achieved was to make the rest of the world aware that Wales existed as a place in its own right.

[/end welsh obsessive mode!]

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

So true, Ken. I guess we should be grateful for small favors. I'll take the heat any day over what we got in August last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back