Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lines won't disconnect - need step by step help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjsbrcc

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
We have 6 lines coming in to our Norstar phones. For a mysterious reason, lines 1 & 6 have been lit up since last night. This has never happened before, and I don't know how to turn on Disconnect Supervision.

Please, if you can - I'll need step by step instruction on how to turn on disconnect supervision, and then I'll need instructions on how to untie these lines. These phones are at a crisis center and it's not good when only 2/3 of our lines are operating.

Thank you!
mjsbrcc

DS is a programme function in the Config, Trunk,
you can set it on/off and the milliseconds. You need DSDR5
for full function. The only way I was able to disconnect, was a shut down. Disconnect of CO lines took to long.

I think at this point I may just have to shut down. I did try disconnecting the phone wiring in our wiring closet, but it didn't work.

I am familiar with performing administrative functions, but I'm not sure what you mean by DS is a "programme function in the Config, Trunk," - I'm not sure how to get to the Trunk settings.

What does "You need DSDR5 for full function" mean? Is that additional hardware or a type of norstar phone?

Thanks anyhow for the help.

DS is the abbrevitation for disconnect supervision. Some of the DR5 stuff and ealier versions of DR, did not have disconnect supervision. Without disconnect supervision the KSU does not always sense a disconnect. An example would be if someone called you, and before you pickup they hangup. Meaning the system does not sense the disconnect. With supervision the system always will sense the hangup and free up the line. Your system is showing its age all newer nortels have disconnect supervision.

What you want to look for is Trunk and Line Data, see if there is a heading for supervised or unsupervised. If it is set to unsupervised change it to supervised.

Hope that helps you.

What is the model and software version of your system? Are you using a voice mail?

Thanks everyone - I fixed the problem. It ended up being a short in the wiring somewhere in the bldg. I just had to unplug and replug in the main hub to reset it. We'll see if it keeps happening..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back