Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lines on my screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

evosmudge

Technical User
Apr 23, 2002
US
There are lines showing up on my screens that are distorting my display. I noticed this after running Lavasoft Ad-Aware and I deleted everything that the app found. Could this have deleted certain window files or is this something totally different? If it is a windows file, I can easily re-format my HD and install winXP again. I am hoping it is not my 19" LCD that is only 8 months old.

I was thinking of adding a screen shot but I cannot tell if it is showing what I am seeing.

Any advise?

Make sure the monitor's cable is securely connected and the connector has no loose or bent pins, the video card is fully seated, its fan is running, its heatsink is securely mounted, and clean out any dust from the fan and heatsink.

If no luck, then connect your monitor to a different system or a different monitor to your system.
If your monitor has the same problem on another system, or a different monitor works ok on your system, then your monitor is bad. Have it fixed or replaced under warranty.

Also make sure any devices nearby that could emit emi are turned off. emi meaning electromagnetic interfearance. They will cause annoying lines in a monitor. Things such as a flouresecent light, power cord , any type of electrical device like that can cause them. So if you have any near it move them away and see if it stops it.

Also see if your monitor has a degauss option, if so use it.

I don't think LCDs are subject to magnetic interference, but maybe electric interference. Can you degauss an LCD?

I know this is a bad joke, but I had also lines on an LCD monitor when I just broke a bootle of Vodka above and that the LCD "has drunk" all of my vodka :D

So make sure you have no liquid in/on your screen, because I had to change my LCD :-(

Good luck :)

Csab

PS: It's a TRUE story ....

Csab

Yes I am a MAC lover, and so what :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back