Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lines= Long, Medium and Short CO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2006
US
I am running a CICS 7.1 Norstar and I have 2 customers in the same ATT exchange that are about 15000 feet from the CO that tell me that they have poor volume on transmit and receive. I can raise the receive but have no control over the transmit. Under lines there is an option for Long, Medium, Short CO and Long, Medium, Short PBX. I don't hear much difference in any of these settings and am wondering if someone can tell me what these setting are for.

Thank you for any help.

LossPkg lets you select the appropriate loss/gain and impedance settings for each line. The setting is based on the distance between the ICS and the CO. If you google mics manual, open the pdf and search "db" you will see the different loss/gain settings for each loss pkg.

You should be choosing long CO since you are about three miles from the CO...is the issue the same across all lines on the MICS? have you gotten on the pairs at the terminal (or demark) and called from there to see if the level sounds the same there as on one of the extensions? I have installed heaps of these systems over the last couple of decades and I haven't really ran into an issue as this. Take a meter at the 1st place the lines enter the building and check the ma level on the pairs...the average ma level for loop start lines is about 35ma at 48-52 vdc.

"If I had known it would turn out like this, I would have become a locksmith" Albert Einstein

NCSS, NCTS, NCTE, CS1000E, Avaya IP Office, Mitel 3300 Basic & Advanced, 5000, SX200, NuPoint

The 1st installation has 4 lines on a CICS and they are all low volume. The 2nd installation that has only 1 line on a CICS has a cordless phone ahead of the system and the customer says that it is better using the cordless phone. I tried calling into 1000 cycle tone from the 1st location and testing but I don't have a number for that exchange and had to use a different town. I know that this puts a whole different circuit in the mix. The readings there was about -14.5 db. I'm trying to get a local number for the local CO from AT&T to check that out. I also looked at the cable pair for load coils and did not see any. There should be at least 2 on the lines and maybe 3 at that distance that do not have DSL on them.

Thank you for the response

Not that were stumped, it is in the manual along with anything you find in programming.
Installer Guide or System Coordinator Guide.

Find out what NT codes the line cards are, it might be they need new cards....i.e. Global cards
And check the dip switches on the cards maybe.

Also check this read out:

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back