Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lines do not time out on conference call

Status
Not open for further replies.

goat41311

Programmer
Feb 5, 2003
US
Nortel
MICS 5.0, 0 x 32
Phone 7316
Mr. A calls office.
Receptionist takes call and pushes conf/trans button placing Mr. A on hold.
Recept. then selects unused line and calls Mr. B.
Recept. pushes conf/trans button and all three person are in conference.
Recept. then pushes hold button and hangs up.
The indicator lights on the two lines are blinking during conf. call.
Mr. A and Mr. B hang up and indicator lights are still blinking 4 plus minutes later.
Is there a time out that disconnects the lines after parites hang up. If so, where is it and how do I program it. If there is no time out, then how do I get the two lines to diconnect after the parties have hung up.
Novice installer
David

What you are doing is an unsupervised conference. From your post I assume you have analog trunks. Ensure that the lines are programmed as 'Supervised'.
When 'A' calls in that call is placed on hold. A second call is made to 'B'. When that call is established, press Feature'3' or Conf/Trans. The display prompts you to press the held line, then all parties are connected. The receptionist can now release and the two callers are still joined through the MICS. With supervision, when the MICS sees either line release, it should drop the call.

But only if you call your Telco (dial tone providor) and have Disconnect Supervision added to your lines. Without the telco sending you the disconnect supv signal, setting your trunks to "supervised" in the Norstar is useless.

Normally Telco's will do this automatically, won't they? I've never had to ask for it, maybe I was just taking it for granted. I thought they did it anyway.

Roldan,
You are normally correct. It is in the Telco's best interest to put supervision signalling on its loops. I think WRT to lack of updates from original poster, Sprucegrover got it right.

PhM

Why would reception put the conference on hold when she should be hanging up after conferencing, trying to talk in a conference call and having to hear music on hold or beep beep every few seconds can be annoying.
If you conference the call without the receptionist putting them on hold then you shouldnt have a problem if the lines are supervised by the KSU and your TELCO provider.
spoclogo2.jpg

Thanks for all of the info,
changing from unsupervised to supervised worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back