Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

line protocol is down (looped)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krelian

MIS
May 30, 2001
US
Hi guys,

We just got a T1 circuit installed, and attempting to configure a Cisco 2600 to get connectivity. What we got after the configuration of the serial interface is "Serial 0/1 is up, Protocol is down (looped)". I am certained that non of the interfaces are setup as loopback. So what does this mean? Could it be the telecomm provider who has put a loopback on their end? The circuit is setup with Frame-relay IETF encapsulation with ANSI LMI.

Any help is appreciated.

Someone at telco forgot to clear a loop test.. get on the horn with your provider and have them clear the line. On the off chance it might be your end, try reseting the CSU/DSU.. I have seen once in a great while the DSU go stupid like this.. not often but it does happen.

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

If you have a smartjack in the picture that is a very likely suspect. They are in loopback by default so as to keep alarms from going off at telco when the circuit isn't provisioned/hooked up.

Is this a frame relay circuit? If so like the others have mentioned the circuit is in a test mode ( NNI mode ) the providers ANS group ( Advance network Services ) can remove the loop on the frame relay side if the loop is local they mey need to dispatch to remove the loop in the DAX.

What type of NIU ( circuit connection ) at your prem did telco provide. If it had a 9pin connection on the card you can hook up via hyperterminal at 9600 N 8 1 and check out the setting alarms and loops. Good Luck!!! Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA
Sprint-Data

Quickest check is to pull the cable between your DSU and the telco smart jack. If you still see a loopback on the router port, it's not telco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back